There are many components to addiction recovery. At the heart of the process is the use of drugs for addiction treatment. In many situations, these drugs work to give a person the ability to move beyond their addiction and focus on their lives and goals. The type of drugs used depends on many factors. At Pines Recovery Life Detox, we utilize the very best treatment programs for our clients, creating a clear path to improving long-term outcomes.
Drugs for Addiction Treatment
Various treatment approaches exist for helping people through addiction. The first step in creating a treatment plan is gathering as much information about the patient as possible. Then, one or more medications may be used as a treatment. Here is a look at some of the drugs for addiction treatment commonly used:
- Buprenorphine: This drug is often used to treat withdrawal symptoms and cravings in those using opioids. It works by activating and blocking opioid receptors in the brand. It is used as a pill placed under the tongue. This may be used with other medications.
- Methadone: This drug helps prevent the onset of withdrawal symptoms and eliminates cravings related to opioid use. It is a full opioid agonist, which means it activates opioid receptors to trick the brain into thinking the drug is being used.
- Naltrexone: This is another opioid treatment drug. It works as a type of prevention of relapse in some people and may be used after a person detoxes from the drug.
- Disulfiram: This drug is used to treat alcohol addiction. It stops the production of an enzyme that metabolizes alcohol. This causes an unpleasant reaction if a person drinks alcohol.
- Acamprosate: This drug reduces the symptoms a person experiences when battling alcohol use disorder. It works by normalizing the brain systems that have been otherwise damaged due to chronic alcohol use.
What Is Medically Assisted Treatment?
Medication-assisted treatment or Matt for addiction works to help a person’s body deal with the lack of the substance present. This type of treatment is very effective because it helps to trick the brain or train the brain to function properly without using these substances. Over time, a person doesn’t need to take any of these drugs and still doesn’t feel intense cravings or withdrawal symptoms. This can help to make any treatment plan more effective.
Are Drugs in Addiction Recovery the Best Thing?
Some people do not want to use medications to help them detox or work through recovery. That is just fine. They are not always a requirement. However, it is important to consider the value of using these medications for those who have failed at addiction therapy or other types of treatment. They may help you to avoid the cravings that often lead to relapse.
At Pines Recovery Life Detox, we offer a wide range of programs to support the recovery process. You will learn more about any medication that we may recommend when you reach out to our team. Learn more about any of our programs and treatment options, including these:
Start on Your Path to Recovery by Calling Pines Recovery Life Detox
At Pines Recovery Life Detox, we offer a range of drugs for addiction treatment based on your specific needs. Our team is dedicated to working closely with you to ensure you have access to the type of medications you need to overcome addiction for good. It takes a phone call to us to start the recovery process. Learn more when you reach out to us online or set up an assessment when you call 800.263.3869 for an appointment.