The holidays are a time when many people gather to celebrate. Usually, in these gatherings, alcohol is present. For those in recovery and actively making sobriety their chief goal, all fun holiday drinks may seem out of reach. But, can you really enjoy non-alcoholic drinks and have just as much fun with them? The answer is yes. Your sobriety and recovery have been worth the work. Now, with a few non-alcoholic holiday drinks, you may be able to have some fun without putting it on the line. At Pines Recovery Life Detox, we are here to help you every step of the way.
A Few Non-Alcoholic Drinks to Try Out
A festive holiday does not mean you have to drink a lot of alcohol. In fact, it may be enjoyable if you focus on non-alcoholic drinks instead. These suggestions for holiday drinks may be just what you need.
- Classic Eggnog: There may not be something more holiday than this one. Choose a steaming warm glass of it topped with whipped cream and some cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- Cranberry-Apple Cider: For a refreshing but warming drink, try a bright cranberry juice with that red color. Top it with a slice of apple and some cranberries.
- Italian Soda: Check out a blood-orange Italian soda. Just mix your favorite Italian soda or sparkling water with some whipped cream to thicken it up. Serve it with a spring of basil for some color.
- Simple Christmas Punch: Mixed equal parts of fruit punch, lemon-lime soda, and sherbet for a healthy punch that does not use any alcohol in it.
- Over-the-Top Hot Chocolate: Warm up with hot chocolate, made extra creamy with heavy whipping cream and a cinnamon touch.
There are also numerous ‘mocktails,’ non-alcohol versions of traditionally alcoholic drinks. Creating these mocktails can be enjoyable as they require the same effort and skill with ingredients. Often, the taste is just the same. When it comes to non-alcoholic drinks, you may find these are just what you need to feel as though you are celebrating without feeling overwhelmed by the alcohol around you.
You Don’t Want to Feel Left Out in Holiday Drinks
Whether you are hosting your own celebration this holiday or planning one in which a loved one focuses on sobriety, it can help to have a few of these drinks available to serve. Yet, you may feel some pressure from others about what you are drinking or, more commonly, what you are not drinking. You don’t have to feel bad. You know how important your sobriety is, and you also should recognize how important it is for you to stay on the path to recovery.
If you’re hosting, don’t allow alcohol in your home. If someone else is, and you do not feel like you can be around it, you may choose not to visit. The risk of temptation and cravings here, coupled with what other people are doing, may put you at risk. Just skip it and plan your own celebration with non-alcoholic holiday drinks that you like.
When Non-Alcoholic Drinks Are Not Enough
Be realistic with yourself. If you are thinking about drinking again while you are in recovery, it may mean you need some professional help to get back on the right page. Do not put off your health. Instead, reach out to our team at Pines Recovery Life Detox to get the support you need right now, and then start planning a successful holiday.
Choose to Get Sober Today – Call Pines Recovery Life Detox
Whether you have a loved one with an alcohol addiction or you’re worried about your own, these non-alcoholic drinks are a good start. Yet, holiday drinks like these need to be secondary to having the help that’s needed. If you or a loved one is struggling, reach out to Pines Recovery Life Detox. We offer several therapies to provide you or your loved one the support necessary, such as:
- ACT- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Contingency Management
- CRAFT- Community Reinforcement and Family Training
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Dual Diagnosis
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Holistic Therapy